The International Group of P&I Clubs and The Education Committee are pleased to announce the expansion of its annual scholarship programme to take part in the highly successful P&I Qualification programme.
Last year, the Group's Education Committee awarded two scholarships to individuals to complete the P&IQ. We are pleased to announce that, in 2023, we will be awarding a further two scholarships to candidates who wish to study the programme. In addition to this renewal of the programme, in 2023 the Group will also make available two additional scholarship places aimed specifically at employees of commercial correspondent companies named in the currently (2023) puplished list of correspondents of at least one IG P&I Club, who would otherwise be unable to complete the course*. This support, in addition to other new initiatives to be announced for correspondents taking the P&IQ, is an important recognition of how IG Clubs value their correspondent network worldwide.
The scholarship will provide textbooks for all seven modules (both electronic and hard copy), meet all exam fees needed to complete the course and provide mentoring to successful candidates.
Scholarship eligibility criteria
There is no age limit on the scholarship, which is open to all who fit the below criteria:
• Ideally, have experience within the maritime industry
• Have a good standard of written and oral English
• Be unable to meet course fees because of financial need
• Have achieved sufficient general qualifications to support capacity for a more challenging qualification
• Demonstrate a desire to follow a career in the maritime industry
* For candidates working as commercial correspondents, when addressing the criteria relating to financial need, they should, in addition outline why their employer has not agreed to fund their participation.
Applications will be by way of a letter from the candidate, in English, detailing their current qualifications and experience and setting out why they desire the scholarship / how they would put it to good use. A letter of support from a current or former employer, or other sponsor/referee must be supplied to accompany this.
Completed applications should be sent to – [email protected]
Applications may be made at any time throughout the year, but scholarships will be awarded at the end of each year. Four scholarships will be awarded in 2023.